Well, the end of almost 15 months in Banda Aceh working with Northwest Medical Teams has come. Thursday, I spent a few good hours with some of my dearest girlfriends here; Friday, we had a very sweet send-off from our coworkers; Saturday, John had a goodbye party from his soccer team; Sunday, we spent the afternoon with a few of our friends at the beach before church and a special farewell soccer game in the 20,000 seat stadium under the lights for John's team; Monday, we had lunch with Ben and Kelly and flew out.
It was a strange goodbye in some ways, mainly because we've been planning on leaving Banda Aceh almost since we arrived. Originally, we were only supposed to stay for three months, and then 8, and then our office was meant to move to Medan sooner then it did. In the end, we were able to be in Banda Aceh all the way until the end.
It was hardest to say goodbye to the people (and things) that we will not see or write to again. That is mainly people who do not have email and don't speak English (as our Indonesian will fade away no doubt). I will be praying for all of them- that God will be with them.
My tears were limited to the plane itself- they often are. But as we took off, I was just struck by how permanent leaving 'home' feels, even though I'm sure we'll be back.
Aceh is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been in the whole world and I will miss seeing that slice of heaven.
November 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Post a Comment