April 5, 2007

baby dedication, family visits and more



I wonder how many weeks in a row will go by where the only thing I blog about is Sam. There is a part of me that feels that eventually I will go back to having other things in my life, but for now we are still Sam-centric.

This week was great- Sam is growing bigger and bigger- I think he's gained about 2 lbs since he was born and he's definitely more coordinated these days. I'm feeling a lot better too- mostly just tired now, but even that is not unbearable.

On Saturday, a bunch of my family came for a visit and made us lunch. It was great for Sam to meet so many of his extended family.

Leyla holding Sam (she was a baby pro)
My aunt Lee- who helped John and I a lot during my pregnancy and led us in our prenatal classes
My grandfather- with his 6th great-grandchild

My sister won the medal of valor this week- she was with us for 6 days and helped out tons with cooking, laundry, dishes, and Sam :-) Matt was able to join us on Saturday and Sunday too!
And here is the amazing quilt that my sister and Lee worked on. There are meaningful squares from all sorts of family members- for example the square three over and three down is from an Indonesian batik map of the area that John grew up in and where we've been living. And the square two to the right of that is from sheets that my grandparents have and in the top right corner is a piece of my baby blanket. John is represented lots too- the square with the cabin was embroidered by his Canadian aunt, and the square two below that is from a shirt his family had made when they finished building their house in Hawaii in 1987. Thanks to all who gave squares!


Sam's baby dedication was really wonderful and meaningful for us. My aunt and uncle, friends from NJ and PA, and my sister and her husband were able to join us. It was really special to me that Sam was dedicated on his first Sunday in church and at this church in particular, which we've been a part of since its start in 2004.

Worship-

The godparents- Cameron and Jen
My sister and her husband, and us
Our pastors- Brad and Becca

4 comments:

David Samuel Sandler said...

So cute - and I got to see the video (only took 30 minutes to download!!! :-)

miss you and love you,
Dave

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful set of pictures. Makes me sad to be so far away. But the distance will soon diminish.

Anonymous said...

The picture in church looks like you are having a contest to see who can catch the M&Ms being tossed from the front. How many did you catch?

Unknown said...

Eliana and I are looking at all the photos -- its so exciting! I don't know how I missed that you have a blog -- just reading it for the first time today! He is so sweet! Congrats -- and I loved hearing about the birth story! Wish we could see you all -- can't wait for the next time you are passing through Chicago.

Love you lots, Kari