Friday is the 2nd big Muslim holiday (Ramadan was in October). Devout go to Mecca if possible and sacrifice a sheep if possible, of which a third is donated to the poor. That means that every household that can buys a sheep which then is killed at their home the morning of the holiday. I guess in apartment buildings like ours it is customary to keep the sheep on the roof or in the garage the night before and then slaughter them there as well- should be interesting. The only other time I was in Morocco for this holiday was when I saw little girls in fancy kaftans holding bloody sheep heads on the way to the guy who roasts the brains for a fee.
Here are a few sights from around town today- I'm sure I'll post some from Friday as well.
This is a temporary sheep market set up at one of the biggest supermarkets in town. They have a credit system for buying sheep and the sheep are about 5 dollars for 2.2 lbs.

Here's a purchased sheep, waiting to be picked up (though there are loads of others in pens labeled 'sold'

Here's a family trying to get their sheep into the back of their hatchback

Nothing to do with the festival- this is a big inflatable toy for kids to play on- it's in the shape of the Titanic- as it's breaking in two :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment