We got a package from my parents today with all of our favorite tv shows- so exciting. We can hardly decide what to watch first. Our list of shows is definitely quirky (nerdy?) but I shall unashamedly list them here- Colbert Report, Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Atlantis, Lost (John only these days- too intense!), and Snuff Box (newer BBC comedy with actors from The Mighty Boosh). I'm so excited. Sam got a present of some videos specially made for him too and I know he's going to love them.
But it wasn't just this package that made it a little Christmas. The Julians, a super family here with a three-year old daughter (who shares the same bday as Sam), got back from a year away and sorting through their stuff have found loads of super baby stuff to lend us. A high chair, portable crib, some toys, and a stroller with a toy steering wheel and tires that can navigate the sand. Incredible! Sam likes strollers for the first time in his life and it is largely due to the steering wheel (his friend Anya has one just like it that he's borrowed from time to time).
And we bought a generator yesterday (after 16+ hours of active searching) so we can weather the electricity cuts better. We didn't have electricity for 46 hours straight this weekend and last weekend it was almost as bad. While we were looking for a generator, I found a used toy stall and bought Sam a German-made wooden train with five cars. It's exactly the kind of find that makes my day. I put a string on the engine and Sam walked around the house with it trailing behind him. I think I'd really enjoy searching the used markets here for a fun weekend activity- kind of like a big disorganized spotty thrift store (or car boot sale), only you have to bargain for everything (starting price can be 10 times the eventual depending on the thing, though usually just double or less).
August 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment