We did a sandpail cake- it was so easy and it looked cool (it's in the orange and red buckets and we served it with a sand shovel. It's pudding, cake, and crumbled cookies (that's what looks like sand). I asked Sam if he was going to eat sand and he looked at me strangely. So I picked up some of the "sand"and put it in his mouth. He tasted it gingerly and then had an aha moment. It was the effect I was going for.
The little ones played in water f


John and I made a magnet fishing game- it works remarkably well and looks cool too. The kids stacked their catch outside of the pool.
Then we had a treasure hunt in the sandbox for gold-coin wrapped chocolates (wrapped in saran wrap of course). The kids thought that was a strange and fun adventure. And when I asked Sam what he was finding he said "l'argent" (money in French). I'd have thought he'd say chocolate or candy or something.


Singing happy birthday
Ruth (Hannah's mom) serving the cake
Sam delighting in his cake and pretzels
Enjoying the merry-go-round as the sunset
So all around it was a fun party.
Today we also had a big yard sale and managed to sell tons of small stuff. Our friend, Ina, was having one and invited us to come sell. It worked out really well and it was fun in a way. Plus Ina made amazing lasagna for lunch and that alone made the day special. We'll be doing a fire sale at our place next week... everything must go!
Oh, and I don't think I mentioned this earlier. The daughter of Congo's president (she was also the wife of the president of Gabon) died in Morocco last Friday. Actually, there are loads of rumors circling about when and where she died and of what. Who knows what to believe. Anyway, her body was flown in Friday so everything was shut down for a national day of mourning. Then today, her body was flown to Oyo (her family's hometown). The burial is scheduled for tomorrow.
That will change our travel plans. The town we were going to leave for tomorrow morning is close to Oyo, and the embassy has issued a travel warning. That, plus concerns about our car (which has been at the mechanic's all week) and various other complications have made us decide to scrap the trip. So we'll have more time here in Brazza this week. I'm glad.



No comments:
Post a Comment